Flirting Tips for Every Personality Type and Comfort Level
Imagine: you are in a bar vibrating to the sound of music with a drink in your hand and an attractive stranger approaches… and you do not know how to flirt. Welcome to the club! Flirting can be intimidating for some people, and that’s fine. Whether you’re an introvert, an extrovert, or a combination of the two, there are plenty of flirting tips (or improving your flirting game) to suit every personality. While some methods of flirting may be obvious – flirty texts, dirty lines, casually touching the person you’re flirting with – there are a lot of other things you might not have thought of. Check out our top tips for flirting.
Tips for flirting
These are some of the universal tips on how to flirt in just about any situation you might find yourself in.
- Make eye contact: It can be so difficult, we know, but the fastest way to show interest is to make eye contact. You can do this from across a room to initiate a conversation, as well as maintain that eye contact during the conversation. You may not need to maintain eye contact throughout the all conversation (this might get weird) but keep going as much as you can.
- Give sincere compliments: Compliments are always a great tool for flirting, but try to keep them genuine. Don’t reuse the compliments you give each person (unless you think everyone has the most amazing eyes and smiles), but try to find something unique that isn’t cheesy.
- Smile: We don’t want to be those people who tell you to smile more, but if the person you’re flirting with makes you happy, then smile and show them that! They’re probably just as nervous as you are, so it’s reassuring for them to know you’re in the game.
- Use body language: When using this trick, make sure you never make the other person feel uncomfortable. Whether it’s your body language when sitting down or a light touch on an arm or shoulder, make sure your date feels comfortable and the physical interaction is natural and reciprocal.
- Draw attention to your lips. Dear from Distraught was fair! It might sound a little silly, but pop out some lipstick or lipstick when your crush is nearby. It may make them think of kissing!
- Light teasing: Teasing can be cute but should be done with care – you wouldn’t want to offend the object of your teasing. It’s a great way to make your crush smile or laugh as long as you stay silly.
How to flirt from a distance
Digital flirting is a whole different ball game, and it can be a beast to navigate. Here are some ideas for seducing by SMS, DM, Zoom, pigeon mail – whatever your mode, these tips will make the experience more appealing.
- Combine their energy: If you’re texting or DMing someone and they frequently text sexy (which you’re comfortable with), go ahead and start over. There are no rules about how often you can text someone or what you can and cannot say. But if you find a vibe with someone, go all out and go with the flow.
- Don’t be afraid of photos: When you’re comfortable with it, hit the person with a photo. It can be cute, it can be sexy, but whatever the case is, it’s a great way to flirt and take the conversation to another level.
- Bring your personality: It can be difficult to make yourself understood in a video chat, but do your best to make sure you look authentic and look alike.
- Remember to keep things cheerful, positive, and straightforward. Blurring and long paragraphs in SMS can be a jerk for some. It’s important to make it clear to someone how you feel about them by texting. Here are some examples you can try:
- I totally miss you right now!
- I really appreciate your company. Is there any chance we can get out again?
- I just come to tell you that I find you extremely attractive.
Tips for flirting if you’re an introvert
If you are an introvert, don’t worry, you can always flirt in a way that works for you! No need to hang back and feel left out. Here is what you can do.
- Ask real questions and listen to the answers: Introverts are generally very good listeners because they are generally timid in conversation. When flirting with someone, ask open-ended questions that will allow the other person to give you long and meaningful answers. It takes a lot of weight off you, but it also allows you to learn more about the other person.
- Try to play with the other person: You’re probably very good at paying attention to those around you, so try to feed yourself on the energy you get from the person you’re flirting with. That doesn’t mean you have to be too loud or over the top if they are, but if they lead the conversation in a sincere manner, go for it. If they’re bright and bubbly with you, see if you can find solace and confidence in matching that up.
- Stay nearby: One of the easiest ways for you to flirt with someone is to stay close to them and stay engaged. We know that social interactions can be difficult for some introverts, but if you really want to show someone that you are interested, staying around and talking with them is an amazing and easy way to do it.
- Be prepared with your talking points: It might sound incredibly Type A, but if you’re shy around other people, it’s okay to have a bulleted list in your head of what you want to share with people when the time comes. If you use online dating apps, think about some of the things that you have or would include in your profile and consider which ones you want to share with a new person. Flirting can be like a job interview: you want to sell yourself and find a good partnership with the other person. So if you know what you want to talk to them about, it can help you feel more comfortable.
- Try to stay open. Extroverts sometimes have a habit of sharing too much, but it’s important to make them feel comfortable. Of course, it’s perfectly okay not to want to dive into your own personal story. Just try to be there for them.
Tips for flirting if you’re an extrovert
Outgoing people are usually not too shy when it comes to flirting, but when you are an outgoing person you can be very strong at times. For some this is great, but it can also be intimidating. Here’s how you can flirt as an extrovert and strike the perfect balance between extrovert and still mysterious.
- Try to play with the other person: Yes, extroverts can do it too, but you’ll want to go about it in a slightly different way. While introverts can find solace in level play with another person, an extrovert can find calm in level play with another person, especially if they are not so daring. It can be intimidating to be really strong, but if you’ve struck up a conversation with someone you’re interested in, try to build on it and find common ground. That can mean overpowering it a bit, and that’s okay. However, don’t dim your glow for anyone.
- Listen: You probably like to be the center of attention, and that’s great, but keep in mind that there is another person in this conversation, so be sure to listen to them. The person you’re flirting with might actually be * the right one * and you don’t want to miss out on anything they have to say.
And perhaps the most important flirting tip, across the board, is to read the play. If you are flirting with someone who doesn’t like it, then give up and move on. Just as you wouldn’t want someone to keep making unwanted advances on you, you should offer the same courtesy to everyone else.